Francis X. Burns
Francis X. Burns is a Principal with Global Economics Group LLC. For more than 30 years he has assisted clients in a diverse range of commercial litigation and valuation engagements. Mr. Burns has consulted to Fortune 100 companies as well as entrepreneurial firms in a wide variety of industries in the manufacturing, consumer products and financial services sectors. He has evaluated damages issues in numerous litigation contexts, including patent and trademark infringement, breach of contract, employment discrimination, business interruption and product liability claims. He has conducted financial investigations to determine losses due to securities violations and the mismanagement of pension fund assets. Mr. Burns has testified extensively on economic damages issues in Federal and State courts, as well as in arbitration forums.
- Francis X. Burns
- Principal, Chicago
- (312) 470-6515
- Intellectual Property; Securities, Valuation, and General Damages
With regard to business valuation, Mr. Burns has authored appraisal reports for use in the arbitration of shareholder disputes, joint venture negotiations, estate planning, as well as in response to tax litigation. He is routinely called upon to provide appraisal services and consulting advice to corporate taxpayers and government agencies, including the U.S. Treasury Department and the U.S. Department of Justice. He has conducted numerous appraisals of manufacturing businesses, investment holding companies and limited partnerships. Mr. Burns has been retained by both taxpayers and IRS counsel to evaluate the merits of respective appraisal positions, and has played an active role in resolving issues through settlement discussions and mediation efforts. Mr. Burns has provided expert testimony in more than 25 trials before Federal Courts.
Mr. Burns graduated from Stanford University in 1982 and earned an MBA from Northwestern University in 1986.
Tax Valuation Disputes
- Valuation of equity interests in privately owned companies and family limited partnerships for estate and gift tax purposes
- Analysis of transfer pricing arrangements between related domestic and foreign corporate entities
- Valuation of receivables pursuant to split-dollar life insurance arrangements
- Studies of executive compensation for compliance with tax regulations
- Quantification of economic damages relating to lost profits, price erosion, and reasonable royalty
- Expert testimony in patent and trademark infringement litigation
- Business valuation in the context of minority shareholder dissent and squeeze-out disputes
- Evaluation of economic harm due to raiding of brokerage firm employees by competitor
- Breach of contract damages relating to delivery of inferior product from large public utility
- Analysis of securities trading conducted by the Treasurer’s Office of a large Ohio county suing investment firms over fund losses
- Consulting to the creditors’ committee regarding complex financial transactions during Enron bankruptcy proceedings
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) – Business Valuation, American Society of Appraisers
- Accredited in Business Appraisal Review (ABAR), Institute of Business Appraisers