Peter C. Hickey
Peter Hickey is a Principal at Global Economics Group. Mr. Hickey has over 20 years of experience working on securities fraud and valuation matters. His clients have included individuals, corporations, hedge funds, brokerage firms, futures commission merchants, insurance companies and regulators. Peter has experience as both a consulting and testifying expert in securities and commodities trading cases, business valuation disputes and other complex commercial litigation.
- Peter C. Hickey
- Principal, Chicago
- (312) 470-6502
- Securities, Valuation and General Damages; Financial Regulation
He has extensive experience in the areas of financial statement analysis, lost profits and damages, insider trading, securities fraud loss causation and damages, business valuation and securities and commodities trading practices. Prior to joining Global Economics Group, Mr. Hickey was a Vice President at Chicago Partners, LLC. He has testified as an expert witness in federal and state court proceedings and in front of FINRA. Over the course of his career, Peter has also cultivated and supported a vast network of academic and industry affiliate experts in a variety of cases across the country.
Mr. Hickey has a bachelor’s degree in economics from Georgetown University and an MBA with concentrations in Accounting and Finance from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
- Retained by the SEC to analyze valuations of restricted securities held by investment funds
- Analysis of radio station cluster acquisition strategy and financing alternatives for a group of radio station owners
- Worked on team of consultants in material adverse change case between two retail shoe companies
- Analysis of valuation related to $700 mln acquisition of seatbelt and airbag manufacturer
- Valued a partner’s equity interest in a closely held investment business. Partner was awarded damages at trial commensurate with the valuation
Securities & Commodities Trading Practices
- Damages expert for Receiver of Cayman based hedge fund in case brought against brokerage firm handling trades for fund’s account.
- Forensic accounting of over 300 trading accounts at issue in Ponzi scheme case brought against an introducing broker and two global investment banks
- Assisted with insurance coverage investigation into $500 million commodity derivatives trading loss claim
- Analyzed economic profitability of complex cross border structured finance transactions
- Collaborated with team to study loss causation and damages for an institutional investor in an asset backed commercial paper facility that provided warehouse financing for fixed-rate conforming mortgage origination
Securities Class Actions
- Continue to work on a team of consultants analyzing disclosures and claims made by classes of securities holders (in both Section 10b5 and Section 11 cases) against investment banks, mortgage originators, bond insurers and other parties in response to the subprime mortgage meltdown and the ensuing credit crisis
- Analyze efficiency, loss causation and damages in several large scale securities fraud class actions on behalf of plaintiffs, defendants and mediators