Chad W. Coffman
Founder & President, Chicago
Labor and Discrimination; Securities, Valuation, and General Damages
BA in Economics, with honors, from Knox College; Masters in Public Policy from the University of Chicago; Chad is a CFA charter-holder.
Chad Coffman is Founder and President of the Global Economic Group, LLC. He has a national practice serving as a testifying and/or consulting expert in complex securities and valuation cases.
In addition, he has carved out the unique role of acting as the independent expert engaged by mediators in complex mediations where he evaluates the economic analyses of all parties. Chad has also directed and managed the economic analysis in large and complex antitrust and labor matters. He has over 15 years experience in economic consulting.
Chad has served as an expert in many of the largest securities cases on record including Parmalat, Enron, Refco, WorldCom, and Tyco, among others. He has been invited to speak on issues related to economic analysis in securities cases before the City Bar Association of New York, the Chicago Bar Association, and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Chad holds a B.A. in Economics, with honors, from Knox College and a Masters in Public Policy from the University of Chicago. He is also a CFA charter-holder.
• Testifying or consulting expert in dozens of complex securities litigations, including, but not limited to:
• Event Study Analysis
• Market Efficiency Analysis
• Loss Causation Analysis
• Damages Analysis
• Plans of Allocation for Settlements
• Expert consultant for Citigroup/Salomon Smith Barney in various matters related to Jack Grubman’s analyst coverage of various companies. This included supporting multiple experts at high-profile arbitration where plaintiffs claimed $900 million in damages. Arbitration panel returned a verdict in favor of client (reported in Wall Street Journal).
• Testifying expert in Washington Mutual Securities Litigation, United States District Court, Western District of Washington, at Seattle, No. 2:08-md-1919 MJP, Lead Case No. C08-387 MJP.
• Testifying expert in DVI Securities Litigation, United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2:03-CV-05336-LDD.
• Expert declaration in Connetics Securities Litigation, Case No. C 07-02940 SI, United States District Court for the Northern District of California, San Francisco Division.
• Testifying expert in REFCO Inc. Securities Litigation, Case No. 05 Civ. 8626 (GEL), United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
• Expert declaration in New Century Securities Litigation, Case No. 07-cv-00931-DDP, United States District Court Central District of California.
• Testifying expert in Moody’s Corporation Securities Litigation. Case No. 1:07-CV-8375-GBD.
• Testifying expert in Minneapolis Firefighters’ Relief Association v. Medtronic, Inc., et al. Civil No. 08-6324 (PAM/AJB).
• Testifying expert in In re Schering-Plough Corporation/ENHANCE Securities Litigation Case No.2:08-cv-00397 (DMC) (JAD).
• Expert consultant in multiple cases involving market timing and/or late-trading. Developed models to estimate market timing profits.
• Served as neutral expert for mediators (Judge Daniel Weinstein, Ret. and others) in dozens of complex securities, antitrust, and market manipulation cases.
• Expert consultant for the American Stock Exchange (AMEX) to evaluate issues related to multiple listing of options.
• Performed detailed audit of CDO valuation models employed by a banking institution.
• Played significant role in highly-publicized internal accounting investigations of two Fortune 500 companies. One led to restatement of previously issued financial statements and both involved SEC investigations.
Selected Experience in Labor Economics and Discrimination-Related Cases:
• Expert consultant for Cargill, 3M, and Walmart in class action discrimination matters.
• Expert for large insurance company related to litigation and potential regulation resulting from the use of credit scores in the insurance underwriting process.
Selected Experience in Antitrust, General Damages, and Other Matters:
• Expert consultant in high-profile antitrust matters in the computer and credit card industries.
• Expert consultant for plaintiffs in re: Brand Name Drugs Litigation. Responsible for managing, maintaining and analyzing data totaling over one billion records in one of the largest antitrust cases ever filed in the Federal Courts.
• Expert consultant in Seminole County and Martin County absentee ballot litigation during disputed presidential election of 2000.
Our experts have worked on some of the most significant legal and regulatory matters of the last quarter-century.