Francis X. Burns
Francis X. Burns is a Principal with Global Economics Group LLC. For more than 30 years he has assisted clients in a diverse range of commercial litigation and valuation engagements. Mr. Burns has evaluated damages in numerous litigation contexts, including patent and trademark infringement, breach of contract, employment discrimination, business interruption, and product liability claims. He has conducted financial investigations to determine losses due to securities violations and the mismanagement of pension fund assets. Mr. Burns has testified extensively on economic damages issues in courts and arbitration forums.
With regard to business valuation, Mr. Burns has authored appraisal reports for use in the arbitration of shareholder disputes, joint venture negotiations, estate planning, as well as in response to tax litigation. He is routinely retained to provide appraisal services and consulting advice to corporate taxpayers and government agencies, including the U.S. Treasury Department and the U.S. Department of Justice. He has conducted numerous appraisals of manufacturing businesses, investment holding companies, and limited partnerships. Mr. Burns has been retained by both taxpayers and IRS counsel to evaluate the merits of respective appraisal positions and has played an active role in resolving issues through settlement discussions and mediation efforts. Mr. Burns has provided expert testimony in more than 40 trials before Federal and State courts.
Mr. Burns graduated from Stanford University in 1982 and earned an MBA from Northwestern University in 1986. He is an Accredited Service Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation within the American Society of Appraisers, and an Accredited in Business Appraisal Review (ABAR) with the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts.
- Valuation of equity interests in privately-owned companies and family limited partnerships for state and gift tax purposes
- Analysis of transfer pricing arrangements between related domestic and foreign corporate entities
- Valuation of financial instruments pursuant to split-dollar life insurance contracts
- Studies of executive compensation for compliance with tax regulations
- Business valuation in minority shareholder dissent and squeeze-out disputes
- Determination of economic profits and reasonable royalty in patent and trademark infringement litigation
- Evaluation of industry licensing practices and royalty rates
- Appraisal of patents for purpose of equity capital raise
- Damages related to false advertising claims and accounting for corrective advertising
General Commercial Damages
- Breach of contract damages relating to delivery of defective product
- Evaluation of economic harm due to raiding of brokerage firm employees by competitor
- lmpact of fraud on the merger acquisition price for construction equipment dealer network
- Damages resulting from breach of employment agreement
Our experts have worked on some of the most significant legal and regulatory matters of the last quarter-century.