Securities, Valuation, and General Damages; Financial Regulation; Data Analytics; Financial Services
MBA, with concentrations in Economics and Finance from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business; BS in Finance from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Joseph Pope is a Principal for Global Economics Group. Mr. Pope has more than 25 years of forensic accounting, independent investigation, and consulting experience.
Mr. Pope has extensive experience in analyzing economic damages, lost profits, financial reporting irregularities, regulatory compliance, contract disputes, post-acquisition disputes, shareholder disputes, enterprise valuations and commercial fraud. He has consulted clients in a wide range of industries including financial services, insurance, higher education, healthcare, digital currency and blockchain, telecommunications, and public utilities.
Prior to joining Global Economics Group, Mr. Pope was a Managing Director at Stout where he consulted lawyers and their clients involved in complex business disputes and forensic investigations. Prior to Stout, he was a Founder and Managing Director at Huron Consulting Group and started his career at Arthur Andersen.
Mr. Pope is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF) and Certified in Blockchain for Accounting and Finance. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Illinois CPA Society, and is Treasurer and Finance Chair on the Board of Wellness House, a Board Member of Wellness House Foundation, and a member of the Finance Committee of the Chicago Bar Foundation Board of Directors.
Mr. Pope earned an MBA, with concentrations in Economics and Finance, from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and a B.S. in Finance from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
• Engaged by investigative counsel conducting an independent investigation of financial reporting and other accounting matters at one of the world’s largest financial services companies.
• Engaged by outside counsel on behalf of a for-profit higher education institution in connection with an FTC regulatory inquiry, investigation and subsequent litigation; and the U.S. Department of Education’s Limitation Action.
• Engaged by investigative counsel of an entertainment production company to perform independent investigation of whistleblower allegations and alleged Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations.
Complex Business Disputes
• Testified as expert witness on behalf of a public school board and public school district as defendants in a putative class action dispute.
• Testified as defendant’s damages expert in a breach of contract dispute on behalf of a fresh salad producer and distributor against allegations brought by a packaging materials vendor.
• Testified as plaintiff’s damages expert on behalf of a workers’ compensation insurance management association alleging breach of contract by a healthcare insurance organization.
• Served as expert forensic consultant for an SEC registered broker-dealer and equity options market maker facing allegations of security trading practices violations over a five-year period.
• Served as expert forensic consultant for a digital currency and exchange company operating in the blockchain and FinTech industry as part of a voluntary SEC disclosure of certain regulatory matters.
• Served as an expert witness in a bankruptcy dispute involving more than $100 million in alleged unpaid compensation for four venture capital funds over an eight-year period.
• Served as an expert witness for a printing ink manufacturer who was the defendant in a complaint brought under the qui tam provision of the False Claims Act for alleged underpayment of tariff duties and other customs obligations during a 16-year period.
Our experts have worked on some of the most significant legal and regulatory matters of the last quarter-century.